Identity, image, and reputation are what defines firms and how people portray them. I work for IUP's Intramurals program. It basically defines student recreation within the university. I will use this workplace to discuss how I see these three terms.
Identity defined is: the actual manifestation of the company's reality as conveyed through many things. In my workplace people just think it's about refereeing games and organizing schedules. It is way larger than that, my colleagues and I have to set an example. We must prove to the university that we are the best at what we do. Our staff is great but we must show it in many ways. We have to create an identity for Intramurals, this means presentation (demeanor, uniforms, actions, performance). The most important piece is our logo which represents the university and organization.
Image defined is: a reflection of an organization's identity. In my workplace as an intramural worker our image is what our boss stresses to us the most. Before I started working intramurals I heard the program was sloppy and almost got removed from the university completely. People felt as though it was a waste and needed to be cut. In my opinion this could only be because the previous boss and staff didn't take the job seriously. There were many problems with the last boss and staff. This is why our boss stressed to us now that this is the most important key to our jobs. We must prove to the university that we are a great program and the students need us. Since I have been working with intramurals our boss has praised us because of our great jobs. Now he cannot hear enough good things that people talk about our program. Our image is restored and we can only hope it stays that way. We got this way from our presentation and performance towards the students.
Reputation defined: differs from image because it is built up over time and is not simply a perception at a given point in time. It differs from identity because it is a product of both internal and external constituencies. Reputation is how other people and companies look at your company. Our reputation at IUP intramurals is that we provide the students with fun, exciting, and wonderful sporting experiences. Our staff works at our best to provide these great experiences for anybody participating in our different sporting events. My staff and I have created this reputation by our image and identity and our overall performance to please the students.
I think programs such as intramurals are a perfect example of where the leaders and staff must work hard to present a good image. Programs such as these are not seen as a necessity to university life and as you said have the possiblity of being cut. These programs are similar to many the courses I teach, which are electives for students. The people involved with these programs and classes must work hard to present a good image and build themselves a strong reputation. When you have individuals involved who really do not care and do not take their job serious, people begin to form poor opinions of your programs. As you said this program adds fun and exciting sporting experiences for students and is something additional that could possibly help to attract students to the university.
ReplyDeleteI think this is a good example to demonstrate reputation and images. Education programs like schools are usually not for profit but for educative. Well-teaching professors, staffs and outstanding students bring the school on the top of the rank. It's also kind of intangible advertisement.
ReplyDelete