Sunday, October 3, 2010

Chapter 5: Corporate Responsibility - Ryan Kirsch

Before I left my previous employer, there was a huge push for corporate sustainability efforts across all offices. The company showcases their corporate sustainability program to the public on their website. The company “recognizes its obligations to encourage sustainability and to exemplify sustainable practices, both within the organization and through service to clients. This includes active processes for environmental preservation, community outreach, employee wellness, and business improvement.”

The program had clear internal visibility during office meetings where staff and managers would brainstorm ideas on how to improve the program locally. Offices would post their sustainability accomplishments on the company’s internal website for other employees to see and to give advice. The idea was to get the entire company involved with program communication and each office had a “Green Ambassador” which administered the program.

According to company statistics, during 2009, more than 90% of their offices were engaged in recycling campaigns, including nationwide participation with electronics suppliers. Styrofoam use has been discontinued or dramatically curtailed in 75% of offices. More than half of company offices were involved in community outreach, both locally and globally. And key offices are addressing sustainability through “green” national vendor contracts and electronic procurement and AP/AR. The company plans to issue its first annual sustainability report in 2011, to include objective review of efforts in 2010, applicable quantitative analysis, and goals for future improvement.

I believe the impact of “going green” will be the future business norm for organizations. I believe to be competitive, companies must initiate these programs; not only because of the added benefits, but because clients, customers, and constituencies will demand it.

3 comments:

  1. This is a great example of an organization infusing its corporate responsibility throughout the company. It appears that the majority of employees participate enthusiastically in the company's initiatives. They are obviously proud of their accomplishments and it shows. Without the support of the employees, programs such as this would not be possible here or at any other organization. I agree that “Going Green” is definitely the way that most businesses will need to operate in the future. From the sounds of it, this organization will have an easier time adapting to changes in the future due to the involvement of their employees. Provided that the company can produce a competitive product, this should also translate into a competitive advantage over other companies in their field.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that in companies there is a large going green iniative. In recent years people have become more concerened about the environment and the evidence of environmental change is everywhere.It is good that the company placed their recycling efforts on the website. I wonder what else could have been done to help the environment. Recycling is becomming a very basic and standard thing in todays world. For instance in my city now there is a fine for those who place recylables in the trash , I beleive of which is a few hundred dollars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you. PNC is a big example of embracing the going green philosophy and I think it has improved their relationship with their customers to some extent. I have seen a lot more companies embrace this recently. Making this even more obvious is the fact that many jobs are now classified as whether or not they are Green jobs on certain job search websites.

    ReplyDelete